My dear friend Lo Tanner shared on her email list a play list of worship songs that help carry her through difficult moments. It inspired me to share a little list of my own…
Confession: Exercising NOW is increasingly more difficult than it was 3 years ago. Where I used to run 5 miles, now I struggle to walk one. Where I used to squat 80 lbs, now I have a hard time getting up from the couch. Where I was a Zumba instructor and I used to teach one hour classes, now I find myself successful if I get through 20 minutes of yoga.
Life happens and Rheumatoid Arthritis sucks. But I know I need to keep moving. My fitness goals have changed to reflect that, but I’m not going to lie: When I hit the work out zone, I beat myself up a lot. It’s so difficult to NOT get discouraged.
This is why now, more than ever, I need to build my faith along with my fitness. I can’t compartmentalize, these two are indistinguishable from each other. So whether it’s the motivation to stay on the treadmill five more minutes, or not give up on the yoga, I need the words in my headphones to be more powerful than the self-defeating lies that creep up every time…
… and a nice beat helps too…
Here’s a list (in no particular order) that has both!
- Pentatonix “Can’t Hold Us” – don’t ask, it just works.
- Beckah Shae “I’ll Be Alright”
- Beckah Shae “Life”
- Beckah Shae “No More” – ok so I really recommend her. But this one here is my power song!
- Mercy Me “Move”
- Kerrie Roberts “Outcast”
- Mary Mary “Shackles (Praise You)” – yup, I just dated myself here… I’m a dinasour.
- Melinda Watts “So Good”
- Ayiesha Woods “Crazy”
- Cadia “Inside Out”
I’ll interject here, that I’m not always needing something to pump up my cardio to 140 bpm. I like listening to stuff that gets me pumped, but also that helps me maintain endurance; if it keeps a steady rhythm, and it verbally encourages me not to give up, then it makes my list.
- DC Talk “Jesus Freak” – I’m pretty sure my T-Rex arms give me away by now… I’m so old…
- Group 1 Crew “His Kind of Love”
- John Reuben “Do Not”
- Jonathan Thulin “Dead Come to Life” Featuring Charmaine
- Lecrae “Give In” Featuring Crystal Nicole)
- Newsboys “God’s Not Dead”
- Rachel Lampa “Savior Song”
- Jars of Clay “Dead Man (Carry Me)” – appropriate after Leg Day
- Jars of Clay “Flood”
- Third Day “Lift Up Your Face”
- Jimmy Needham “Come Thou Fount”
- Grits “Fly Away”
Go ahead and check some of these out on Spotify or iTunes and add them to your work out playlist.